Average life spans are dependent on average conditions, but a variety of factors can shorten or lengthen a roof’s life.
The following conditions can drastically affect a roof’s lifespan.
- Color– A dark roof absorbs more heat. This shortens the lifespan.
- The angle of roof slope– Roofs with a higher pitch last longer.
- Roof surface orientation– A southern-facing roof has more exposure to the sun, which shortens its life.
- Multiple layers– A roof that is installed over another roof will have a shorter life.
- Material quality– Cheaper materials have a shorter lifespan.
- Poor installation– Improper installation shortens the roof’s life.
- Attic ventilation– Poorly ventilated attics lessen the roof’s life.
- Trees– Tree branches that rub against the roof shorten the lifespan. The acidity from leaf debris and sap does too.
- Severe climate– A severe climate with brutal winters and hot summers shortens a roof’s lifespan due to expansion and contraction.
Call us today (770) 207-0759!